27 October 2006

Reasons to love job #2

People thought I was crazy when I decided to pick up two extra jobs and also try to start a business while working full time. Well, even though I am exhausted today, I have to say that at least job #2 has some surprisingly wonderful perks.
Such as?
The fact that yesterday afternoon I was *required* to attend a staff wine tasting. This resulted in all the of-age staff sitting around a huge table drinking about 15 different and amazing wines and drying to figure out *which* of the gourmet pastries, cheesecakes, tortes, tartes, puddings, etc went well with each of the shiraz, cabernet, pinot, riesling, sparkling argentinian wine without a varietal, late harvest riesling, weird south african wine, etc etc.
And, what is more, after this complete insulin-spiking indulging requiring a vomitorium, I had to work. Ever drink a few glasses of wine, eat about 10 desserts, and then try to function on any kind of a normal level? Well, it makes work a lot of fun, but also very difficult to stay awake for, what, with the sugar crash, the wine and all. So, I ended up spending most of the night sipping wine tastes and chatting with some coworkers I've been wanting to get to know. Artists. Creative people. Visionaries. People who aren't afraid to work hard. People who know the difference between a bad and a good pinot (I don't yet). People who aren't afraid to take risks and try something different.
And, I tell you what: this feeds my soul. This is the reason I got this job.
Not that I complain about the other perks mind you.
The icing on the cake was the owner calling me about 9pm last night telling me I could take home whatever left-over wine I wanted.
Yes, whatever I wanted.
Whatever of the about 15 bottles of wine sitting around.
I chose a tawny port and the rest of the Goiya South African wine (which, by the way I highly recommend--it has almost a chocolaty, cinnamony flavor that is really unusual. I guess this is from the pinotage grape).
This makes getting home at midnight and not being able to sleep and being tired all day at my real job worth it. All of the preceding makes it worth it.
In between work, work, work and soap making endeavors I have been knitting. I have specifically knitting for a baby shower for one Humlet and her future mom this weekend. Lot so fsmall, fuzzy, baby-type things. Not usually my style, but it does have an appeal of its own.
In other fun and random news, I got 90% off of four days worth of spa products from Lady Wellness through a very limited marketing campaign they are doing. One day is a massage, one is a facial, one is a body wrap, and one is either a mani or a pedi. All of this for $55. Plus you get a free week membership at this club, some fitness classes, fitness consultations, and $80 in gift certificates.
How could I not take advantage of this?
And now I am going to talk about aliens.
So, there was an close encounter of the first kind (for a technical explanation of this, please visit www.mufon.org) in central North Dakota recently. The story made the front page news of our local paper. I couldn't believe it. This very unassuming, very not-believing-in-ufo's type of family has had three separate incidences with strange creatures on their ranch. The most recent was a shoot out between a 16-year-old kid and a 9 foot alien with claws who was trying to steal his pregnant pig. And as I type this I realize how ridiculous this all sounds, but that is exactly the point--who could make this up? And why?
I will tell you one thing--in that part of the state (and further west and a little bit south) aliens could fly around for days and probably no one would see them because almost NO ONE lives out there. At any rate, everyone thinks the story is ridiculous and not news worthy. I think it is very interesting and weird from a conspiracy theory sort of point of view (one that I am not necessarily prone to believing, but am prone to find interesting). Some people believe that there are bad aliens or demons or whatever that have been messing with our dna. Some people even go so far as to say that the passages in the Old Testament referring to angels having "relations" with human women are true--and they the reason the aliens/demons/whatever did this was to bastardize our dna to piss God off or for some other sinister reason.
Do I believe this? I have no idea. I have read a lot on it. Someone actually manages to make a living writing books and articles and researching this stuff, yes. Believe it. Several in particular refer to Sumerian legends (Sumeria=oldest known culture on earth) that describe extraterrestrials that took early (i.e. not fully evolved) hominids and added their own dna sequences to make smart "workers" for their purposes. Egyptian legends tell a similar story. Even Mayan legends talk about this stuff.
Where does this stuff come from? Well, some would say from Satan. I don't know if it is that simple, though I definately don't agree with all the things these experts have to say. At any rate, it is interesting to think about, whether it is true or not. And since I am an "ideas" person and like to ponder things, this is all food for thought for me.
And also, I have to confess to this day I am still paranoid (though not as badly as earlier in my life) of being abducted by aliens, and if I have to stay on parent's farm in the bed, alone, to this day I will still sleep with the lights on.
Because, obviously, the aliens wouldn't abduct me with the lights on.
Anyway, some people say the reason for the cattle mutilations and the women being taken on spacecrafts to have their plumbing inspected and sheeps testicles being missing, etc, etc, is because the aliens are experimenting with our dna.
Sounds like a great movie. I do love me a good sci-fi movie.
I am certain at this moment that my mother and father are regretting ever having taken me to E.T.
Speaking of being visionary, my brother has become a visionary in the past few years and has taken up photography. He likes it so much that now he is thinking of opening a gallery in our home town (one that my husband and I may be involved with in some way, shape, or form). I am totally excited about the prospects of something like this happening in rural areas. It just gets the thoughts churning and the ideas flowing even more. I love it. I wish I had more money to contribute to it (and to several other business ideas I have). Money always seems to be the limiting factor. I had the idea of putting a coffee shop in the gallery. Do you know how much commercial espresso machines are? Some are upwards of 15k! That's more than a fairly nice car. I couldn't believe that.
There is a whole science to espresso. I know this because I watched an instructional dvd on it at work last (between the wine, visiting, and not-doing-very-much-real-working). It is fascinating. There are only two varieties of coffee. I found this interesting because for tea, there is only one tea plant. One. There are no "varieties" of tea--just different ways to cure the same tea leave. It's similar with coffee. The difference is mostly in the type of roasting that is done. There is a lot of difference in caffeine and flavor between the two varieties, too. So that gives you even more flavors than tea, mathematically speaking. There is a whole science to how to steam the milk, too. There are about 10 million wrong ways to steam milk, and really only one right way. It is very interesting and inspiring to me to think of all of these things and to think about being really good at making tea or coffee or espresso or even growing my own grapes.
Ideas, ideas, ideas.
No money, no money, no money.
Bah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home