07 April 2006

I blame the bellybutton brush!

Bellybutton brush, you say? Oh, yes! Haven't you heard of them??!!! Doesn't everyone have one?
I am about to explain how my tendency to hide things and play pranks ultimately can be blamed on a bellybutton brush.
When my mom was growing up on 6th Avenue in Helena back in the days of whenever my mom was young (math--not my strong point), her family had some very good friends that lived right next door to them. All of the kids were basically the same age and played together, and the two sets of parents got along very well.
At some point, and this is not utterly clear to me, enters the bellybutton brush.
So, here are the two families--the Anderson's (Momo, Fafa, and the kids) and the Whitesitt's (Bob and Evelyn and kids). Bob and Evelyn and Momo and Fafa like to exchange gifts. And one year, they exchange a gag gift of sorts--a bellybutton brush.
A bellybutton brush looks like a tiny eyebrow brush, and it comes in a metallic case--much like a compact.
Well, over the years, the BB got passed back and forth between the two families every Christmas. After the Anderson's moved out to the valley, the BB was one of the items that kept the two families and the friendships fresh and new every year.
And so it goes that after many years the BB began to have stories exchanged. The BB has been married, had children, been kidnapped, been involved in political campaigns, etc, etc--all of this contained within the successivesly more dramatic stories accompanying the arrival of the BB at Christmas every year.
I think the BB is absolutely hilarious, and he is one of my favorite Anderson Family Traditions.
As the years have passed, Grandma and Grandpa and Momo and Fafa have gotten more forgetful, and tragically, the BB has been lost in the past year or two. I think they are relieved that they don't have to make up any more stories for him. I am sad about it. It is the end of a good life for the BB.
The BB is not the only thing like this in our family. My mother and I have been at random intervals been exchanging a dried banana stump (you know, the top part of the banana--the pointy part that connects it to the bunch), named Tana the Banana for many years now.
Somehow this all has instilled within me a very odd sense of humor. It has also instilled in me a sense that inanimate objects have feelings. I feel badly for the couch that is getting thrown out in the trash. Or the spoon that gets eaten up in the garbage disposal. Or the chair that is uncomfortable and no one likes to sit on.
I also like to hide things.
I blame the bellybutton brush!
This will explain the following update to the Shoe Saga:
A couple weeks ago I hosted Knitty Naughties at my place on Monday night. Or maybe it was Bible study, I don't remember. Either way, that night when I went to bed, I found a pair of shoes in my bed. The next day, I found another pair of shoes hiding in some feathers and another shoe under the bureau. And, I found a shoe key chain attached to my ever-increasing Key System.
They keep multiplying. Luckily, these shoes were awesome, courtesy of the Allison Lindbloom collection.
So, now I have a ton of shoes. I have the new Allison shoes, and I have the velvety barbie shoes with the revolting bow. I have also gone through several weeks of trying to locate my own real shoes at various intervals whenever someone comes to or sneaks over to my house.
This morning, I got revenge.
Dana suddenly found that her Arbor Vitae tree was blooming with velvet Barbie shoes. :-)
I find this hilarious. I am sure most of you find it insane.
Today is a New Sweater Day. I finally completed Tubey last weekend, and Dana has been kind enough to block it for me all week to make it a reasonable length. And, we were successful to that end since I am currently wearing it at my job. It turned out great, and I love this yarn and this color. It is just the perfect amount of warmness. And it looks hot! Success!!!
Other current projects are--reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (book report to follow shortly), and embroidery, specifically, a set of pillow cases that I will probably give to my nieces.
Tonight my husband and I will have the pleasure of meeting some good friends of ours, Jason & Becky, at Juano's for supper (where I will eat a salad and drink lots of Sangria). I love Jason & Becky. They are extremely talented and creative individuals who always inspire me to try something new. If I had to list all of the amazing things they have created, it would take days, but suffice it to say they have probably the coolest house of anyone I know.
Tomorrow we are having our neighbors over for supper. Finally. After about a year of telling them we were going to invite them over. I want to grill a leg-of-lamb for us, so this afternoon I am going to try to track one down for a reasonable price. As if that's possible.
The most exciting news of the moment is that my friend, Kristi, had her baby on the 4th of April. I just found out via word-of-mouth today (and yes, I am mad she hasn't called me yet--Kristi!). They named the baby Brooklyn Elayne. I think she was 7 pounds 11 ounces and 22 inches (does that seem right?). Congrats Kristi & Trevor! It was a tough pregnancy, and I am really proud of Kristi for pushing through all the pain and uncomfortability. I can't wait to see this baby--it is probably the cutest baby EVER!
In the category of things I recently learned:
Did you know that Abraham Lincoln's wife was a complete nutjob? She was a complete and total nutcase. I guess she was the most miserable person to live with and be married to ever in the world. She was probably bipolar, and she'd go on these huge spending sprees where she'd buy like 200 pairs of gloves. And she was cantankerous and did not deal with real life well at all. But Abe never gave up on her. He continued to love her and treat her well no matter what she did. He could have played the "I'm too busy running the country" card, but he still managed to make his marriage a priority despite the Civil War and his unpopularilty with the people at that time. I learned all of this while reading The Sacred Marriage by Gary L. Thomas. This is what we were reading in Bible study. I think his example is really revolutionary in our time when everyone would rather just throw in the towel when things get tough in their marriage. I had no idea he had a bad wife. He handled it all with grace--something that really impresses me.
I will leave you with a sexy e.e. cummings poem since it is a sexy weekend (in case you don't get it--it is an analogy of car to a woman)
she being Brand

-new; and you
know consequently a
little stiff i was
careful of her and (having

thoroughly oiled the universal
joint tested my gas felt of
her radiator made sure her springs were O.

K.)i went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her

up,slipped the
clutch9and then somehow got into reverse she
kicked what
the hell)next
minute i was back in neutral tried and

again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg. in(my

lev-er Right-
oh and her gears being in
A 1 shape passed
from low through
second-in-to-high lik
greasedlightning) just as we turned the corner of Divinity

avenue i touched the accelerator and give

her the juice,good

(it
was the first ride and believe i we was
happy to see how nice she acted right up to
the last minute coming back down by the Public
Gardens i slammed on

the
internalexpanding
&
externalcontracting
brakes Bothatonce and

brought allofher TremB
-ling
to a:dead.

stand-
;Still)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home