09 January 2007

Blue Hair

Hello and happy haircut to me. Last night was by bi-annual hair cut and color excursion to Salon Why? As usual, it was an adventure, and as usual, I did something unruly.
So, Salon Why is on the 7th floor of an old building downtown overlooking the city. The Salon is a one-girl start-up sort of place with lots of punky pizzazz. Most of the stylist that work there have bright pink, blue, green, or red hair, lots of piercings and tattos, and lots of......color, otherwise. And they are a lot of fun and aren't afraid to say what they think about things, so I like this place. My stylist's name is Kristi. Her nickname is "KY". Yup. All of this is giving you a picture of the salon.
Also picture said salon in the midst of a renovation with walls knocked down, buckets of paint and rollers sitting around drying out, lots of sheet rock dust, and lots of hip-hop/techno music blaring loudly. While the stylist waits for your hair to turn color, she is rolling a bright orange color on the wall and smoking a cigarette that is just barely dangling from her lips.
You know, run of the mill salon stuff.
I love this place. It's an adventure. It's not somewhere you go expecting a "spa" experience, but it is interesting.
So, Kristi is starting to examine the mess that is my depressing mop of mousy hair. I am showing her picture and she is mixing the Frenchy-brown color (ala Audrey Tatou in Amelie) when I say to her "Can I have some blue?"
Ergo I now have blue streaks in my hair. They are underneath the outermost crust of locks, so they can be easily concealed for my working life, but easily revealed for my real life (notice I do not equate my working life with my real life....but that is for another blog).
Also, KY is a genuis and was finally able to give me the choppy, short bangs I have been begging for from all of my stylists for the past five years which no one has successfully given me.
I am in love with my hair.
So, I guess that makes me conceited and this blog shallow.
But I still have blue streaks in my hair. I kind of look like the my-little-ponies with the streaks in their manes. And even my boss, Dan, said to me this morning "Cool hair!" leading me to believe he is not going to call HR on my a**.
IN other news, today has been a frustrating day at work dealing with The Maths and the Incompatible Programs. A normal Tuesday. tuesdays seem to be wraught with problems of these varieties.
Thusly I made an excursion today to Yuki Hana to eat lunchboxes with an associate of mine from an appraisal company. I did well in that I did not eat all of my food--only half of it--and am saving the other half for tonight. And I put my chopsticks down between every bite. This is part of Operation Cellulite Removal that I hope to complete somewhere around the time of our next bellydance show--coming up very quickly!
Last weekend I learned how to mix a martini. And then I made a chocolate martini for myself. It is nowhere near as difficult as it looks to do. I think the toughest thing about making a martini is not breaking the delicate martini glass whence you wash it.
Billy and I have been taking the opportunity of the beginning of a new year and the perspective of some shared vacation time to discuss the future. And what has been discussed has been weighty and intense. I will expect to see some large changes in our lives within the next two to three years or so--partly brought upon by the Paying off of the Debts and partly brought on by Needing Some Huge Scenery Changes. For now, we are content to know that we are in the planning stages of this new adventure, and we are doing much reading and researching and scrimping and saving in order to make it happen. I won't tell you what it is for now. [No, it is not having babies.]
Speaking of babies, we had a Martini baby shower last weekend for the Humlet. She is growing up very quickly. She did not partake of a martini, but her parents did (and they deserved it)! Congrats again to Jason & Becky on making a perfect little human.
That is all for now. I apologize for the stream of consciousness today, but i have been told that a blog is better than no blog because some of you insane people actually check this site every day to see what I have written. This is both humbling and horrifying. :-)
Many happy returns!

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I love reading your blog, but everytime I do, I feel boring. Alas.
I knew a girl in the Cities who was a model for a salon in Uptown, and one day she came to class with purple in her hair, much in the same location as yours must be. It was mucho loco. I liked it a lot. Why didn't you post a pic?

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should come to Mott so I can see this lovely hair and fall in love with you for the 3,000 time-Steve Johnson

9:50 PM  
Blogger Kiersten H. said...

I totally agree. I'm all-ready for to see the hair that will craze me out. Very exciting indeed. And yea for being able to sit down with the hubby and talk (seriously) about the future...Most important is the hair, though...Of course. LOL Luv ya

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thinking your hair is gorgeous is not shallow. great hair can change a lot about life. much like dressing up in cool clothes; you just feel better and somehow life is better. it's like a secret super power - especially yours with the hidden blue streaks. i second heather: where's the photo?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home